Cheesy Potato Croquettes with Apple Sauce
Check out these indulgent Crispy Potato Croquettes. Packed with creamy Mature Cheddar cheese, this recipe is perfect for an impressive NYE canapé!
1hr 10mins + chilling
- 300g Koffmann’s Red potatoes, skin on (order code 2360)
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 150g Lye Cross Farm Mature Cheddar, diced (order code 2752)
- 2 tbsp plain flour, well-seasoned
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 100g dried breadcrumbs
- Oil for deep frying
For the Apple Sauce
- 2 bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- Knob of butter
- 2 tsp sugar (any kind)
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- Simmer the potatoes whole in boiling water until tender. Drain and cool enough so you can handle. Peel off the skins – this will make a drier mash, and the croquettes will hold together better. Mash with the cream and plenty of seasoning. Gently fold in the cheese then put in the fridge and chill until completely cold.
- To make the sauce, put the apples, butter, sugar and vinegar in a saucepan. Cook on a low heat, stirring until the apple is completely soft. Blend until smooth.
- To cook the croquettes, roll the potato mix into 15 equal balls/cylinders (shape of your choice).
- Put the flour, egg and breadcrumbs in three separate bowls. Roll the potato mix in the flour then the egg and then the breadcrumbs. Roll for a second time in egg and breadcrumbs. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil (no more than 1/3 full in a pan) & fry the croquettes for 3-4 minutes or until crisp and golden. Drain and then serve with the apple sauce for dipping.