Galantine of Pheasant
Galantine of Pheasant , Mushroom Duxelles and Smoked Bacon with Braised Lentils, Wild Mushrooms and Fondant Potato
- 250g sausage meat
- 500gm flat field mushrooms
- 2 x cloves garlic
- 2 x banana shallots
- Sprig thyme
- 100gm bacon lardons
- 1 x cock Pheasant boned drumstick left in
- Thyme oil
- 2 x large Maris pipers
- 250g butter
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh thyme and rosemary
- 100gm puy lentils
- 1 x shallot diced
- 1 x clove garlic crushed
- 100g x girolles
- 100g x chanterelles
- Bone out the bird leaving the drumsticks in.
- Lay out onto thin slices of bacon, lightly season and fill with the mushroom stuffing and reassemble so the pheasant resembles a whole bird. Then roll tightly in cling film tying both ends .
- Poach in simmering water for 15mins
- Take out of cling film and dry completely.
- Place on a mirepoix of vegetables and roast in a hot oven on 200’c for approximately 20 minutes, basting regularly. If unsure use a thermometer – 70’c ideally and leave to rest for 30mins, covered in foil
- Sweat chopped shallots, thyme and garlic without colour and add the chopped mushrooms.
- Cook until all the moisture has gone and you have a dry mix and then leave to cool.
- Add to sausage meat and season.
- Put to one side
- Clean Mushrooms thoroughly and sauté in butter, with salt & pepper.
- Drain onto a paper towel.
Braised Puy Lentils:
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan and add onions, celery and carrots.
- Stir for 4-5 minutes and then turn the heat down but continue to let the ingredients cook for a further 4-5 minutes, whilst adding garlic and lentils.
- Pour in stock, salt and mustard and stir until combined.
- Bring to a good simmer and add bay leaves and thyme and cover to gently simmer on a low heat.
- Place the potato in a sauté pan with butter, clove garlic and thyme and fry until brown.
- Cover with beef stock and cook in the oven until soft.
- Using a palette knife ease them out of the pan.
Red wine sauce:
- Sweat chopped shallots, garlic and thyme without colour, deglace with red wine and port and reduce by half add the EC veal jus and reduce further to a saucing consistency.
Place the Galantine of pheasant on top of the lentils sprinkle the mushrooms and lardons and place the fondants around.
I used watercress to garnish and red wine sauce to compliment.