Ham Hock Galantine With Foie Royale
Let's kick start your appetite journey this spring with an incredible dish made with tender Ham Hock, Foie Royale Piccalilli & a firm favourite, Wild Garlic!
2 large ham hocks
125g Foie Royale Block (code: 14115)
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 carrots, roughly chopped
2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs of thyme
10 black peppercorns
500ml chicken stock (Essential Cuisine code: 33006)
6 leaves of gelatine
Salt and black pepper
Toasted bread, to serve (Hobbs House order code: 13360)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Place the ham hocks, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves, thyme and peppercorns in a large casserole dish.
- Pour in the chicken stock and add enough water to cover the ham hocks.
- Cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 3-4 hours until the ham hocks are tender and falling off the bone.
- Remove the ham hocks from the dish and set aside to cool. Strain the stock through a sieve into a large jug and discard the vegetables.
- Soak the gelatine leaves in cold water for 5 minutes until they are soft.
- Remove the skin and bones from the ham hocks and shred the meat into small pieces.
- Measure out 600ml of the ham hock stock and pour into a clean saucepan. Bring to the boil and remove from the heat.
- Squeeze the excess water from the gelatine leaves and add to the hot stock. Stir until the gelatine has dissolved.
- Add the shredded ham hock meat to the stock and stir well to combine leave to cool for 3hrs
- Lay a sheet of cling film on the work surface and line slices of prosciutto
- Lay some of the ham hock over the prosciutto and lay the foie royale in the middle then encase with more ham hock ,roll the sheet of cling film around the Hock and tie at both ends so you should have a thick sausage of prosciutto, ham hock and foie royale.
- Leave to set for 24hrs
Wild Garlic Puree:
150g wild garlic leaves, washed and dried (code: 15079)
1 x shallot finely chopped
150ml olive oil
1 x bunch parsley
Salt and black pepper
Sweat the shallots and garlic in butter and oil, then add the parsley and wild garlic and soften add pinch of salt and black pepper then put into a blender.
Blend until you have a smooth puree.
Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Transfer the wild garlic puree to a sterilized jar and store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Cut a 2inch piece of ham hock and Foie Royale Galantine and serve with Wild Garlic Puree and Piccalilli (Tracklements code: 33070) and toasted Sourdough (Hobbs House order code: 13360)