Hot Rhubarb Soufflé
with candied Ginger, Ginger Madeleines and oven baked Rhubarb Crème Patissiere
Yorkshire forced rhubarb
3 egg yolks
62g caster sugar
1 vanilla pod split
35g plain flour
½ pint rhubarb coulis
Ginger Madeleines (yield: 24 small)
75g caster sugar
10g dark soft brown sugar
90g plain flour
3g baking powder
90g melted butter
20g chopped stem ginger
Method for the Ginger Madeleines
- Cream the butter and sugar, add the eggs and sieve in the plain flour and baking powder.
- Add the chopped stem ginger.
- Pipe into madeleine moulds and cook in the oven at 180°C for 10 minutes or until a sponge like consistency is formed.
Method for the Soufflé
- Take 1 tbsp of crème patissiere and 2 tsp of rhubarb coulis, mix together and set aside.
- Whisk 2 egg whites to a soft peak and add 25g of caster sugar to make a smooth shiny meringue, gently fold into the pastry cream.
- Place into a buttered and sugared soufflé mould.
- Bake in a hot oven at 200°C for approx. 15-20 minutes.
- Assemble: Serve immediately from the oven with rhubarb coulis, ginger madeleine’s, candied ginger and oven baked rhubarb.