Spiced Pumpkin Cake
A warming cake, with ginger and all-spice to set the mood for the cooler days
250g self-raising flour
10g baking powder
5g bicarbonate of soda
20g pumpkin spice mix
240ml vegetable oil
300g light brown sugar
5ml vanilla essence
400g pumpkin purée
Pumpkin Spice Mix:
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp ground all-spice
½ tsp ground ginger
450g cream cheese
150g icing sugar
Method for the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and grease and flour 2 cake tins.
- In a mixer, whisk the wet ingredients (minus the pumpkin purée) until light and airy.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together and set to one side.
- Add the pumpkin purée to the wet ingredients and whisk all together to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Ladle the cake mix (don’t be alarmed if it looks quite wet) into the tins and pop into the oven for 30 minutes or until brown, risen and pulling away from the sides. Leave to cool.
Method for the Icing
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and cook on a medium heat until brown.
- Pour the butter into another container, tying to leave any brown sediment behind – and chill in the fridge until solid.
- In a mixer add the now solid butter to be softened up with the paddle attachment, then add cream cheese and mix until all combined.
- Add the icing sugar and mix until smooth.
- Layer your cake and add caraway seeds (optional) to finish it off! Congratulations, you are now ready to put your feet up for autumn!