Strawberry Charlotte Royale
Treat your taste buds to this luxury dessert made with Cheddar Valley Strawberries!
- 4 large eggs
- 180grm caster sugar
- 120grm plain flour
- 120grm ground almonds
- 65grm unsalted butter, melted
- vanilla extract to taste
- A pinch of salt
- Seedless strawberry jam
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and line a rectangular baking pan with parchment paper.
- Separate the egg whites and yolks into two separate bowls.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks and caster sugar together until light and creamy.
- In another bowl, combine the plain flour and ground almonds.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture, stirring gently until well combined.
- In a separate clean bowl, beat the egg whites and salt together until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter, being careful not to deflate them.
- Add the melted butter and vanilla extract to the batter and fold gently until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter on baking sheets not too thick
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes
- Remove the sponge from the oven and turn out onto baking parchment sprinkled with caster sugar place parchment on top and roll into a swiss roll using a damp tea towel and leave to cool
- Un roll a spread with jam then roll up to form a tight swiss roll and then cling wrap
Strawberry Bavarois Ingredients:
- 500g fresh strawberries
- 500ml double cream
- 150g caster sugar
- 4 bronze leaf gelatine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 yolks plus 1 egg
- Begin by soaking the gelatine
- Wash and hull the strawberries, then puree them in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until they become pale and creamy.
- In a saucepan, heat the double cream gently
- Squeeze the excess water from the gelatine sheets and add them to the warm cream. Stir until the gelatine dissolves completely.
- Gradually pour the warm cream mixture into the egg yolk and sugar mixture, whisking constantly to combine.
- Add the strawberry puree and vanilla to the mixture, and stir well until everything is fully incorporated.
- Place over a bowl of ice stirring until cold but not set
To assemble line a bowl with cling film and slice the Swiss roll and cover the bowl making sure there are no gaps.
Pour in the Bavarois and refrigerate, when all most set cover the top with Swiss roll so the whole bowl should now be covered, refrigerate overnight.
Turn out decorate with glazed strawberries and mint